Saturday, August 30, 2008
Upon arriving today, we headed off for the kids first beach experience. And wow... they LOVED it.
Across the boardwalk.
Uncle Chris and Papa introduce Lily and Evan's toes to the Gulf of Mexico. At first they aren't so sure. Lily is proudly sporting her new pink polka dot bathing suit from G.G.
"The ocean is wonderful!" This kind of true joy happens rarely in life. How great to capture it when it happens. Papa, Tia, and mom provide support. This is sure to be the first of many trips to the beach. Fortunately their Grandma Gloria lives in Florida close to many great beaches. :)
Holden hanging with Grammy, in burnt orange (from uncle Jason) ready for the horns opening game.
Evan makes daddy proud and befriends a group of nice young ladies. Here Evan and Will reap the rewards in their borrowed tubes.
Papa and Tia guide Evan and Will through the waves.
We all returned to the beach house safe and tired, concerned about Gustav but optimistic about the rest of the vacation.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
There is really not a simple solution but here are two options.
btw - I think my photos make the dormer look more strange than real life because the camera angle is up towards the dormer, giving it too much prominence...
Monday, August 25, 2008
Here is Lily feeding baby Holden who is almost as big. Much to Lily's dismay he prefers to hold his own spoon and is pretty good at putting it in his own mouth. Lily is so sweet to him, huging him and patting him to comfort him. They often get in a fit of giggles when they look at each other.
The boys are not so sure they want to share their toys. But I'm sure they will be running around having fun together in no time.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
So here is a recap of the advice I received:
1) Everyone thought moving to the family table was a good idea for various reasons including learning that chairs are for sitting not for climbing. A particularly important lesson for those of us with HOM (higher order multiples). As one child getting into a little mischief can quickly become or three or more toddlers gone wild.
2) Use booster seats and, for the love of all that is good, strap them in! Do not let toddlers roam free (probably not until at least 2 1/2).
3) Once they get more comfortable with sitting at the table, advance to no buckles BUT keep highchair at bay for unruly days and for rule breakers. Give one warning if they are standing on chair, climbing (or marching in some instances) across the table, running around like wild banshees. Second offense lands child back in secure highchair (or in the case of the booster seats, put tray or buckle back on).
4) Lower expectations. Don't expect meals to last more than 15 minutes.
5) Use distractions to help your child(ren) stay at the table. Give them a quiet toy, sing a song or ask where is their 'eye, ear, belly button?' (by the way I tried singing itsy bitsy spider tonight and Lily said 'no!' until I would stop so maybe the song thing isn't for me)
Monday, August 18, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
Finally, long overdue haircuts today...
Memo cried the whole time like last time.
Lily's new style. She nearly didn't get a haircut. She was screaming and clinging to me. Finally she would sit in my lap while I sat in the chair (thus no pictures in action). Margot, our hair dresser let Lily hold the whole box of little toys to get her attention and made it clear that this was a rare very special treat for Lily's first haircut. I was thankful and very pleased with Lily's darling bob. We took home the first cut lock and a certificate for the baby book.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Kitchen cabinets, the uppers still need to be installed.
More kitchen cabinetry under the stairs. Our cabinet maker designed several pull out shelves and drawers to make use of every inch of space, even a couple 3" deep shelves to utilize the wall space. When finished it will look like a full wall of cabinetry.
Monday, August 11, 2008
Sunday, August 10, 2008
They finished floating and texturing the walls yesterday. Cabinets will be installed tomorrow. The next step is the interior trim and bathroom tile. I hope to have some good updates over the next few weeks.
Saturday, August 09, 2008
There was a three year old birthday party and they had a portable bb grill right there by the playground. We had to go pretty close to the party because the celebrant and his friends were playing with our wagon. David was loading them up while I was packing Holden into his stroller and Lily ran into their grill! Poor thing, she burned her hand quite severely, second degree with an almost one inch blister on her left thumb.
I can't believe they would have a grill right next to the playground and unsupervised. I didn't even see it. They had a bunch of little ones in their own party for peets sake. Geesh.
And Lily, our sweet Lily, was in a lot of pain. But what shook me up most is how it could have been much worse, very easily. The hostess just said to me, I think your daughter ran into our grill, my daughter did the same thing once at the beach. Just put some ice on it. I was speechless and just went to follow David rushing home with the kids.
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Last night I finally put Will in Evan's crib with tent and zipped him in. Since Evan can get out anyway I put him in Will's crib. Eventually everyone went to sleep but this morning Lily's crib had been moved to the other side of the room.