Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

A movement is taking hold to protect our Earth. It is now 'cool' to care. I like the direction we are headed. It is going to take time but it feels good to see the shift in perception.

Now that I'm a mom I've become more conscious about our waste and the example I set for our children. We are shamefully using disposable diapers and are working towards filling our own Team Freas landfill. From what I've read even cloth diapers are not a perfect solution because of all the washing that is required. We also waste a ton of food so I'm trying to get smarter about meal/grocery planning and am researching composting.

It's not just about reusing and recycling. This sea change in thought is also manifesting in a growing awareness about the chemicals in our environment and the impact of the pesticides and additives to our foods.

I'm sick about the new findings on BPAs. We used both Avent and Dr. Browns bottles for our triplets which are on the 'bad' list now. There have been rumblings about their safety but the latest research findings have raised a big red flag and these products have officially been declared 'concerning' particulary for the smallest of us, infants, and especially when heated. And to think we heated ALL of our bottles for our babies. Findings of premature development and cancer in animal studies are frightening. I hope we haven't harmed our children.

So last week after the latest report came out I bought new Born Free BPA free bottles. They are a nice bottle, good design and no leaking. The down side is that they are almost $10 each and have too many parts but no BPAs.

I try to limit the amounts additives like high fructose corn syrup and trans fats we ingest. I believe evidence will continue to mount that these substances are damaging to our health.

As far as organic foods go we buy organic milk and I tend to buy organic processed foods like ketchup and cereal because they use less modified ingredients. I'm also considering adding the top 12 foods that have the most pesticides to my organic grocery list.

I came across a handy article yesterday that outlined when it is worth it to go organic and when it is less important. I posted highlights below or go here for full article.

'When is it worth buying Organic?:

The top 12 foods that contain a lot of pesticides:
peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, pears, imported grapes, spinach, lettuce and potatoes.

Foods that you eat most frequently or in great quantities.

Foods eaten by pregnant women and children under age three:
During pregnancy and the first three years of life when the brain and organs are developing, kids are more susceptible to carcinogens, neurotoxins and hormonal disrupters.

It doesn't pay to buy organic when:

buying the 12 fruits and vegetables with fewest pesticide residues:
onions, avocados, frozen sweet corn, pineapples, mangos, asparagus, frozen sweet peas, kiwi, bananas, cabbage, broccoli and papaya.

It's a food you don't eat often.

Foods grown locally and consumed in season (peaches in summer, apples in the fall, for example) also tend to have fewer pesticides.

You're buying fish.There are currently no USDA standards for fish. So if a fish is labeled "organic" there's no guarantee that it actually is.'

So happy earth day to you. May your day be filled with less BPAs, additives and pesticides.

**Update**

Did you see yesterday's Oprah? It seems like we've just scratched the surface of re-evaluating our foods and products. They brought up a whole new host of concerns about our toxins in our water and beauty products.

Good gosh. How did we get to this point? It really makes you want to get back to the basics. I think I'll whip up a batch of their recipie for home made veggie wash and window cleaner for my friends (in my spare time).

1 comment:

Smooch said...

I've been avoiding the research on BPAs. We used avent too, but never warmed them in the microwave. Still, I'm covering my ears. I DID just buy some of those $15 metal sippy cups. I hope they appreciate it 60 years from now when they don't get cancer.

I just don't clean. Solves lots of problems.