Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Lace 'em Up!


David and I have been running regularly for almost six months now, typically 3 miles 4 times a week and most often the same hilly trail down Shoal Creek by our house. I was just thinking how I wanted to check out some alternate routes near our house as well as check out some fun runs when I got a flier for the first Taco Shack 5k to be held on July 11th. And conveniently the course starts literally three houses down from our house at the Ramsey Park sign.

And how nice they gave us the race route map which outlines a different 3.1 mile run. The next day David and I tried it out running with the kids. He completed the hilly course in about 10 minute miles (pushing 100 pounds of toddler plus the triple jogging stroller) and I completed my jog in 11 minute miles pushing one 30 pound toddler in a jogger. My goal is to do the same or better on race day.

It is motivating to have some sort of goal even though my bigger goal is just to be out jogging consistently. To 'train' I have added in a few longer runs, running 4 miles yesterday and generally trying to remember to pick up my pace. I've found that when running with a jogger it is really easy to slide into a slower pace and run more up and down then forward because you have to push a bit more.

Anyway, if you live here in Austin and want to join in you can sign up here.

2 comments:

GrammaG said...

Good job. I am walking 3.4 miles, 4 times a week. I recently had a bit of a virus and my times had slipped. Today I walked it in just one hour. My goal is to walk 4 miles in 60 min. Certainly doable.
I wonder when the children will be able to run? That would tired them... and maybe they would be ready to go to sleep at night. Something to look forward to. Are they swimming?

Happy Home said...

yeah GG! keep it up and you can do the fun run when you are here